Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2021

Kurutoga, Dr.Grip and DelGuard: Mechanical Lead Pencil Review

I don't know why it took me this long to finally get to this lead pencil review but here it is! This post will be covering three mechanical lead pencils which are Uni Kurutoga, Pilot Dr.Grip, and Zebra DelGaurd. All three of these I have been using for a while now and wanted to do this to help people figure out which one is right for them.

I personally constantly switch between all three of these especially while drawing so I will give examples of when I use each of these.

Kurutoga has a special feature of rotating the lead each time you lift it off the paper to keep the lead pointed. There is also the Kurutoga advance which rotates at twice the speed of the regular Kurutoga for an even sharper lead while writing or drawing. That makes this lead pencil optimal for people that need a consistent thin line while working. The Kurutoga advance also can retract the lead to protect it while not in use. The Kurutoga can come with a plastic or rubber grip depending on if you bought a special or limited edition.

Left regular Kurutoga. Right limited edition with rubber grip.

Kurutoga Advance

Dr.Grip is the widest lead pencil compared to the other two but the main feature is that the grip section is very comfortable and soft, making this great for people that grip their pens and pencils hard enough that their hand starts to hurt after working for a while. Dr.Grip also releases lead by shaking the pencil which is amazing for people that don't want to keep clicking the cap.

Dr.Grip

DelGuard has a plastic grip and plastic body and the main feature is that the protective piece where the lead comes out from does not retract and protects the lead from breaking. This is great for people that press down on the lead causing it to break often while working, especially if using softer lead.

DelGuard

I personally like using all three of these and use them depending on my focus, stress, and task. If I am just going outside with my Traveler's Notebook I will bring my DelGuard as I will be doing light sketches and might not have a table and thus might press down on the paper harder. For long-term drawing and finishing a project, I use Dr.Grip. For shading and details, I use the Kurutoga for shaper and consistent lines. I wouldn't recommend buying all three of these unless you love collecting cause you might only end up using one brand if it suits you the most. If you can go to Kinokuniya or a local stationery store to try them out I very much suggest it!

Overall as a stationery collector, I am very much impressed with these lead pencils and how they are built specifically for certain issues! In the future, I hope to find some other lead pencils to review but that might prove to be difficult as I love using these so very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment