Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Otaku USA Magazine Review - Covering Otaku News

Hello everybody! Time for the once and a lifetime review of a magazine!

I have had a few anime and manga magazines before such as Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat, Newtype, and Otaku USA. Sadly time has not been kind and many magazines overall have discontinued. There are online anime, manga, and overall hobby news sources but it really makes you miss the days when you can pick up a printed copy and not have advertisements thrown in your face 24/7.

I decided to get the December 2020 issue of Otaku USA since now I have more time to read and while I am staying at home having a magazine makes things feel more normal. I will try to get the full year subscription especially since 2021 is right around the corner and there is no official date to when I will have to return back to the office. It comes out every two months so I can really take my time with reading.

I really adore this magazine cause it helps me get into other anime and manga I might not have been recommended in the first place. The overviews don't spoil the story while also peeking your interests with some small facts about the environment and characters!

What is also a plus is that this magazine is available digitally on its own app. Now I don't have to worry about the magazine being crushed by packages of ink ad refills in my already small mailbox. Getting the magazine mailed to you would be great if you will use it to journal or even junk journal part of it later. I remember getting these physically, and I am happy they still kept the same layout but made it work for digital reading. When I zoom in on my iPhone the entire block of text fits nicely on my screen. Not sure if it is the same on other phones.

I adore the amount of info they give when covering the series especially referencing the manga while talking about the anime and if there are major changes in the storyline. Really helps the otakus make up their mind on starting the anime or reading the manga or even doing both.

Want to sample a manga? This magazine gives you that too! Even if it's only two samples I still appreciate the effort. There was a slight issue with the manga pages not being in order but I wonder if that is a bug with the app itself.

Love that the game reviews don't have a number rating system. I don't like it cause it depends on what you like in a game. It is very considerate with mentioning any previous title related to the game which is perfect for everybody that didn't play any of them and might want to jump into the franchise. 

Always appreciate the actual solid dedicated pages for cosplay shots during this time when I can't enjoy Anime NYC as I usually do. Especially if you are also like me where you follow many cosplayers but your Twitter and IG are so flooded that you need to scroll for hours to find their latest pictures.

The only problem that is honestly just me is that some interviews are so short. I love reading the responses of the artist, creator, or whoever they interviewed. One page goes by really fast almost leaving me to want more.

Overall I will continue to get Otaku USA and hope they continue to be a source of new and exciting anime and manga for many more years to come.m

Until next time, stay hyped!

No comments:

Post a Comment