Search This Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Letting Go of Plastic & Tags - What I been Doing and How I been Adapting

Ever looked around your home and notice the amount of plastic you keep on your collections or even kept on refills for items you use daily? Well, I decided to do something about it in hopes of making my over space look and feel better!
After decluttering a lot of items I wasn't going to use, I came to realize I left many items in plastic even if I was never going to sell them! I wanted to keep them in good condition but if I really loved these items I was going to use them no matter what.

Rare trading cards are possibly the biggest exception to me taking things out of plastic coverings. Even if you didn't buy cards at their expensive value the point is if it's worth a lot now and you love the card you need to protect it. This does get harder if said card is in fact used in a deck that you play with. If that is the case triple sleeve the whole deck (one deck of mine is in fact triple sleeved). Warning it is a bit of work updating the deck but at least your cards stay in good condition.

The next large exception is Gundam model kits. Some of them are built however we have no space to display them in this apartment and cause there is so much dust in here I keep these in their boxes and plastic. If dust builds up in the model there is no way to get it out without possibly dismantling it.



All stationery I now just break it open and feel it out. Especially if it is a fresh notebook or insert. Helps me get over the fear of starting to use my supplies especially with my Traveler's Notebook inserts. I collected so many and I want to just be able to pick them up and go on adventures.

All of my plushies and mascots are finally free of plastic now. I love squishing and holding them so I am beyond happy I took the plastic off. I ended up doing something special with my PuppyCat Squishable which was laminating the signature from Fred of Frederator because it really does mean a lot to me <3 To fight against the dust in the apartment I routinely dust and fluff the plushies once a week!



No books, manga, or artbooks still have shrink wrap. If they have they have plastic it is because it is an older manga and I am protecting it after reading it several times. In the future, I hope to buy transparent book covers for both books and manga so I can stop using plastic manga and comic bags for them. Hope to update you on that in the future!

Last but not least I finally took the tags off my Sentimental Circus pencil cases. I did still keep them but instead pasted them all into my junk journal. I have no idea why I was keeping them on but things look so much neater now. Besides I won't be selling anything of them, I would only be adding the ones I am currently missing in my collection.

Unless you are trying to preserve something and only display it there is little to no reason to keep it in plastic/packaging with the tag still on. It might mentally and physically block you from using it as I did for me. Can really say I feel like I enjoy things a lot more now which is nice considering the new year is around the corner.
Hope this helped, and until next time, stay hyped!

No comments:

Post a Comment