Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

How and Why I Narrowed my Sentimental Circus Collection

 Welcome collectors and otakus. This post took me quite some time to conjure up so I hope it will help anybody out there dealing with a collection that isn't making you happy.

It is amazing when you find that one thing you can't help but love. It just puts a smile on your face and whenever there is a new design or series or merchandise you absolutely NEED to have it. It doesn't matter how much it costs or what you have to do to get it, you will find a way.

That was me with a lot of things I blog about, limited edition games, stationery and so much more. For this post, the collections that these directly correspond to are my Sentimental Circus collection and stationery collection which overlap since all my pencil cases are Sentimental Circus. Earlier this year I realized I wasn't remembering all of what I collected and those items I didn't use! I have been decluttering for two years and didn't touch my collections until 2020, decluttering is a process, not a race. I took a lot of steps to get this far and I can say that I fully enjoy and use my collection to the fullest.

This is what I did to finally get to the point I am at today!

Looking back at purchases: PayPal transactions, stores, and amounts should be familiar to you. If you don't remember what you bought then you might have forgotten about it. For me, I remembered all the transactions of when I bought Sentimental Circus plushies and pencil cases. This might be due to the fact that I had to ask a few personal sellers in Japan to obtain some for me. However, loads of paper pads and note pads I bought were completely erased from memory.


Seeing what you used and kept using: You know what you use daily cause your mind and hands already know the movements they need to do to get them. For me, I know exactly where the washi tape is, my plushies are displayed, and how all my pencil cases are stacked, everything single day. 

Set items you haven't used in a box: Remember all those note pads and other items I forgot about. Well, I found them while cleaning and placed them in a box. After a week I placed them on Mercari and had sold most of them immediately after. I bought these items for a purpose and I failed to use them and failed to remember them. If I will not use them I hope that whoever buys them will use them greatly and love them even more than I did. Makes me feel better to know it will be used.

Make a list for future purchases: After figuring out what I will use and keep, I make a list every time a new theme comes out of exactly what I will buy out of it. Save money, save time, and when I am ready to buy I have no regrets.

Use money from selling to buy what you will love: Just because you sold part of your collection doesn't mean you will not continue to obtain more. You have to aware of what you really want and will use and cherish.

Solving storage: This was a very interesting thing that might just be me being creative in an overpriced NYC apartment, but I used one collection to store another collection. My Sentimental Circus pencil case collection is fully used to hold my well-loved, mechanical pencil, frixion pen, Sarasa limited edition, and many more awesome pens and markers I use for journaling and writing notes (my full collection will be shown in a future post!). Not all things are bad to keep, you just need to figure out what works best for you.


I will not stop collecting Shappo and Spica plushies but at least I am happy with everything. In the future, I hope to make more posts about the next themes I will collect!

 Please let me know what you collect in the comments! Until next time, stay hyped!

No comments:

Post a Comment