Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Hello Kitty Platinum Preppy Fountain Pen Review

Hello, fellow Hello Kitty lovers and fountain pen collectors! I will finally get to reviewing my entire fountain pen collection and I will start off with the cute and lovely Hello Kitty Platinum Preppy.

Platinum Preppy is the best inexpensive fountain pen available. They come in a rainbow of colors which are crystal (clear), black, blue, purple, green, red, pink, and yellow. Each one costs a bit less than $5. 

The Hello Kitty Preppy fountain pens came out around 2014/2015 in all seven colors (no clear). Now they are hard to find and in order to obtain them, they would have to be imported or bought from a seller on eBay. I currently have five out of seven and I am missing pink and purple.




The regular preppy pens come in extra-fine, fine, and medium nibs however the Hello Kitty Preppy pens are in 03 or extra-fine. Since the pens are extra-fine I don't recommend these used with inks with shimmer as it might clog and the shimmer won't show when you write. 




Another feature of the Hello Kitty pens is that the nib is the same color as the pen! The regular preppy pens have a steel normal nib but these have a color coating on them. 




Even more of a plus is that inside the pen is a small Hello Kitty figurine cap that sits on the cartridge or converter. If you ever get these pens I suggest whenever you clean out your pen to keep these safe because they are very small and easy to lose.




Overall as a person that loves Hello Kitty, these are amazing, even with the increase in price on eBay (about $12). If you don't want a $500 Hello Kitty pen but want to use and try out fountain pen inks but you have no idea how fountain pens work these are great. They are easy to clean, just use a blub to make sure you get all the ink out and avoid shimmer inks as they will clog, and they take the Platinum converter which holds a good amount of ink and simple to use. The only actual downside is that these are mostly plastic so it can crack if it falls hard enough so I suggest making sure you put it back in the pen loop securely and you will be fine. 

If you don't like extra-fine nibs then I suggest finding a fine or medium Preppy. Some people find extra-fine nibs to be scratchy but it might depend on a combination of paper and the actual nib itself. I can say that using these in my Hobonichi weeks(Tomoe River Paper) I have no problem and love using them all the time. 

Some people do ask me for a good beginner fountain pen that isn't expensive, and preppy pens are a great beginner fountain pen no matter what. If you can grab one for $5, converter or $8 and get an ink sample for like $4, or just use ink cartridges for like $8 which will get you the whole experience for under $20.

Hope to get the other colors I am missing and I will try to keep up the reviews this year! I don't have that many pens but all of them are special and very enjoyable so I am very excited to tell you all about them. Until next time, stay hype!





No comments:

Post a Comment